Partner Visa Subclass-309/100 | Australia spouse visa | HelpOverseas

Welcome to HelpOverseas immigration company

Talk to expert


Breaking news :
181 Invitations issued to candidates in Manitoba's Latest EOI


Australia is a country with a stable economy and developed infrastructure. It is one among those nations, which not only offer multiple job opportunities to skilled and talented immigrant workers but also provide perfect settings for them to immigrate and settle.

The Partner Visa or Spouse category visa of Australia is one among the key aspects of Australia immigration that raise the interest of applicants to explore the scope and opportunities of a career in Australia. Through partner visa, the spouses or partners of the Australian permanent residents and citizens can come to live with their partners in Australia.

How you can apply for Spouse or Partner Visa in Australia?

The Partner Visas, i.e. Subclass 309 and 100 Visa allows the spouses or partners of Australian Permanent Residents and Citizens to immigrate to and live with their partners in Australia. The partners or spouses of eligible New Zealand Citizens are also eligible to apply for Australian Partner Visa.

Difference between Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) and Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100)

The Partner Visa Subclass 309 is a temporary visa (allocated first) that allows you to stay in Australia until the time the Permanent Visa, i.e. Subclass 100 Visa is processed.

Eligibility Requirement to apply for Subclass 309 Visa

To apply for a Partner visa, as an applicant you must be either married or in a de facto relationship with any of the following:

  • A citizen of Australia
  • A permanent resident of Australia
  • An eligible New Zealand citizen.

Other Key requisites to apply for a visa

  • You are outside Australia.
  • You are a partner of an Australian citizen, Permanent resident or eligible New Zealand.
  • You can be granted a visa if you are married and:-
  • Your relationship breaks down and there is a child of the relationship.
  • Your partner dies and you can show that your relationship would have continued if your partner had lived and you have a close business, cultural or personal ties in Australia.
  • Your relationship breaks down and you or members of your family unit have suffered family violence.

The marriage needs to be legitimate as per the Australian law. If you are applying for partner visa as a de facto partner, then you must have been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months.

You can be granted a visa if you are in a de-facto relationship for less than 12 months, moreover:

  • You can show compelling and compassionate circumstances, such as having dependent children.
  • Your partner has been granted a permanent humanitarian visa and your de facto relationship existed before it was granted, and you told us about the relationship before the visa was granted.
  • Your de facto relationship has been registered in Australia (this is not available in all states and territories).
  • Do not have any outstanding debts to the Australian government or have arrangements to pay if any.

How you can proceed to apply?

Applying for the Australian Partner visa is a two-stage process. Firstly, if you are married or in a de facto relationship (for at least 12 months), you can apply for the Subclass 309 visa in Australia. The application in fact, is submitted together for both subclass 309 visa and Subclass 100 visa (permanent), while you pay for one visa only. If your application for Subclass 309 Partner visa (temporary) is successful, you become eligible to be assessed for the Permanent visa, i.e. Subclass 100 Visa.

The subclass 309 visa is granted to you on a temporary basis, and based on the same; you can live in Australia temporarily, until your permanent visa is granted. After two years being on subclass 309 visa in Australia, you can submit additional documents to apply for the Subclass 309 visa. The immigration authorities will check your documents, and if everything is correct, you will be granted Permanent visa, i.e. Subclass 100 Permanent Partner visa.

Benefits of Subclass 309 Visa

  • It allows you to stay in Australia till the time decision is made on your permanent partner visa.
  • study in Australia, but with no access to government funding
  • Enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses.
  • About two years after you lodged your application for this visa, you will be assessed for a permanent visa (subclass 100)

Partner visa (subclass 100)

As already mentioned, the Subclass 100 visa is a permanent visa and second stage of Partner visa application, when provisional visa (i.e. Subclass 309) has already been granted to the applicant. You can be assessed for Subclass 100 visa after 2 years of lodging of the application for Subclass 309 visa.

Permanent Visa can be granted earlier if you meet the following criteria:-

  1. If you already have been in a relationship for 3 years with your partner at the time of applying or not less than two years if there is a dependent child of your relationship.
  2. Your sponsor or de facto partner dies, the relationship would have continued if they had not died, and you have developed close business, cultural or personal ties in Australia
  3. The relationship breaks down and there is a child of the relationship
  4. The relationship breaks down due to family violence.

Benefits of Subclass 100 Visa

Find below the key benefits of Subclass 100 Visa:

  • Provides you right to live in Australia indefinitely.
  • Applicant can work in Australia during your stay.
  • Applicant can enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses.
  • Allows you to apply citizenship if you meet certain requirements.
  • Allows you to move to and fro for five years starting from the day visa is granted.
  • You can sponsor your relatives for permanent residency.

Fees for Partner Visa Subclass 309/100

Find below the visa fees for Subclass 309/100 Visa:

Visa subclass Base application charge Additional applicant charge
18 and over
Additional applicant charge under 18
Partner (Provisional and Migrant) visa (subclass 309 100) AUD 7,715 AUD 3,860 AUD 1,935

NOTE:The visa fees given above is subject to change and revision periodically. Hence, for any clarification about the fees or to confirm the latest/updated visa fees, you may contact HelpOverses immigration expert.

Additional charges applicable

  • Medical Examination:-To be paid directly to the doctor conducting the medical examination
  • Police check:-To the corresponding authorities in the respective countries where you have lived for more than 6/12 months depending on the visa subclass
  • Certification/Translation of Docs-Depending on the certifying person and number of copies to be certified

Looking for Australia Immigration? Join Us Now!

Assessment From
close slider